NOLA AFSC IN ACTION

NOLA AFSC IN ACTION

Peace by Piece Slide Show

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Donate to Domonique Triggs


           Young Ambassadors for Nonviolence South Africa Trip



My name is Domonique Triggs and I am a 17 year old male born in New Orleans.  I’m a senior at the New Orleans Charter Science and Math High School with a 3.5 GPA. I’ve been a youth organizer in New Orleans for approximately three years. During my time as an organizer I have helped to organize, two “Pick Up Your Peace” youth summits and attended the 2010 United States Social Forum. I am also the treasurer of New Orleans Charter Science and Math High School and the manager of the 1304 First Robotics Team at my high school.  I hope to study biology pre-med at college.

I am also a Kingian Nonviolence youth trainer who is certified to teach a four hour class on Dr. Martin Luther King’s philosophy of nonviolence. My life of nonviolence started because my brother was a local drug dealer ever since he was 16 years old. When I was young the only thing that I wanted was to be just like my oldest brother. I even considered selling drugs until Hurricane Katrina forced my family to relocate to Detroit where I saw homeless people begging to feed their need for their addiction instead of trying to find someplace to live.  It truly broke my heart to see such sights, so I promised myself that I would never turn to drugs or violence for anything. 

 I want to help other young people choose nonviolence too. So, now I work with the American Friends Service Committee New Orleans Project as a nonviolent leader with a group that we formed called Peace by Piece. As a member of Peace by Piece, I go to local middle school and high schools and train other youth in Kingian Nonviolence.

Our hard work has earned us the opportunity to travel to South Africa and represent the state of Louisiana as Young Ambassadors for Nonviolence with the delegation from the United States to South Africa from June 10-21, 2011.  Please donate today and help us make a difference.

Thanks for your support,              
Domonique Triggs
Youth Ambassador for Nonviolence




No comments:

Post a Comment